5 Tips for Working at Home Productively
Working from home has such a great ring to it, doesn’t it? Who wouldn’t want to be able to roll out of bed, stumble to the computer with a fresh cup of coffee, and bang out a day’s work in their pajamas? As it turns out, that’s not the most effective way to conduct a successful work day at home. Here are some tips on how to ensure a productive day:
1. Designate a work space. It’s best to have an office with a door to shut out distractions – but a desk space that is only for work is OK if that is what fits your space.
2. Dress for success. Do your pajamas motivate you? Do they make you feel professional? Probably not. No need for black-tie-appropriate clothing, but get ready for the day as if you had to greet co-workers and clients in person.
3. Schedule lunch and breaks. Take appropriate-length breaks and keep track of them to keep yourself accountable. Consider having a lunch plan so you aren’t standing in the kitchen deciding what to eat.
4. No household chores. Make that a hard rule, because the rabbit hole you’ll find yourself in can be deep. Nothing derails workday productivity more easily.
5. Allow yourself to enjoy your environment. Just as you may have access to an outdoor lunch area or a trail to walk at a traditional office, take advantage of similar perks at home. A change in scenery throughout the day can stimulate your thought process and actually boost your productivity.
Remember wherever your work takes you, Jesus is with you. Ask him to remind you to treat a home work base like the privilege it is, and you will be successful.